Mentor's football team is heading to the state semifinals against Toledo Whitmer at 7 p.m. this Saturday at Arlin Stadium in Mansfield.
To get there, Mentor topped St. Ignatius in a 57-56 triple overtime heart attack of a championship game.
We covered the game Saturday night. However, we now have some additional statistics that shed light on just how incredible and competitive the game was:
- There were six changes and score was tied on five different occasions. All of these lead changes occurred from the third quarter on, as Mentor led throughout the first half.
- Mentor led for 22:22; Ignatius for 15:13 and they were tied for 10:25.
- St. Ignatius won the battle of field position. During regulation, their average drive started at their own 33 while Mentor's average drive began from their own 23.
- Both teams combined for 1,234 yards. That almost matches the 1,266 yards that Mentor and St. Edward accrued during their regional semifinal last week.
- Both teams combined for 173 plays, more than the 160 played during the Mentor-St. Edward slobberknocker.
- Ignatius had 34 first downs -- 15 running, 17 passing and two from penalties. Mentor had 33 -- 16 rushing, 16 passing and one penalty.
- Mentor and Ignatius combined for 113 points, almost as many as the 119 scored by Mentor and St. Edward.
- Cardinals quarterback Mitch Trubisky threw for 411 yards and two touchdowns on 40 attempts and 25 completions. He also ran for 138 yards and four touchdowns. He was Mentor's leading rusher.
- This gives Trubisky 1,003 yards and 16 rushing touchdowns this season. He has 3,712 yards and 39 touchdowns passing, as well.
- Mentor's leading receiver by yardage was Corey Plavcan. He caught four passes for 129 yards and two touchdowns. (One touchdown catch came from fellow receiver Connor Krizancic on an option play.)
- Brandon Fritts caught eight passes for the Cardinals, including the winning 2-point conversion. He was good for 103 yards and two touchdowns during the game. He has 1,188 yards receiving and 17 touchdowns this season.
- Ignatius' running back Timothy McVey had an impressive game. He ran for 242 yards and three touchdowns on 41 attempts. He also caught a touchdown.
Speaking of the state semifinal, tickets are $8 presale and $10 at the gate. The Mentor High Athletic Department will be selling them in the gym lobby on Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and again from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday, according to the Mentor Schools web site.
Thanks to Patrick Leber and Gary Salzinger for their statistical wizardry.