.

Mentor Boys Basketball Team Sets School Record In Win Against North

The Cardinals connected with 22 3-pointers in an 85-51 win over North

The Mentor High boys basketball team made 22 3-pointers during its 85-51 win over North Saturday night.

Even for a team like Mentor -- one that's known to shoot well from beyond the arc -- this is impressive. In fact, it's unprecedented.

That 22nd three pointer -- made by Fred Buse with 55 seconds left -- broke a Mentor (10-2) school record.

Caleb Potter and Conner Krizancic led the charge, hitting seven and six 3-pointers, respectively.

And the Cardinals were not just playing a quantity game -- throwing up three after three to see if it would connet. They made 22 of 36 (61 percent) of their three pointers against North.

However, that sort of dominance from the outside meant they also only scored 19 points from either inside the arc or the free point line -- a detail not lost on Mentor Coach Bob Krizancic.

"We want to be a dominant basketball team, and in order to do that we have to be able to score inside and outside, and we didn’t do that tonight," Krizancic told Ohio Varsity. "We have some good shooters, and it was good to see that tonight, but we have to still work on our flaws and our shortcomings.

"We do 97 percent of the things out on the floor very well. It’s the other 3 percent we don’t do well that we have to improve on. And that 3 percent is coaching. That’s my fault and I have to work on that."

The Cardinals recovered from their 2-game swoon with a statement win against Garfield Heights Friday and a school-record setting performance against North Saturday.

"I guess you could look at it as we had a good weekend and proved we can be a versatile team, but we need to be more consistent both inside and outside," Potter said. "We still have a lot we have to work on."

North senior Paul Lang led all scorers with 34 points.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something