The tragic shooting last month at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut has caused all school districts -- even those whose safety plans have never lapsed -- to take a hard look at their security procedures.
Mentor Schools Assistant Superintendent updated the Board of Education and Mentor parents on their district's safety and security measures during the Board meeting Tuesday evening. (The update, in its entirety, is attached to this story as a video in case you would prefer to simply watch it.)
Porter said that, even before the shooting at Sandy Hook, the district had updated the district's safety plans in several of its buildings.
It also added cameras in the district's middle schools and 2-way radios to several of its other buildings.
Additionally, the district also set up a hot line where Mentor High students can anonymously text safety concerns to school staff.
Meanwhile, members of the Mentor Schools staff have received several different kinds of safety training.
In the wake of Sandy Hook, the district intends to update its entry door protocol, Porter said. This will mean more identification checks for people entering the schools.
"We have plans to add more cameras in strategic locations around the district, especially in our elementary schools," Porter said.
Porter also noted that there were some aspects of the district's security plans he could not divulge for safety reasons.