Lukasiewicz Baby Released From Hospital; 3-Year-Old Brother Still At Rainbow

The Lukasiewicz-Blare family still has a long road to recovery after a driver crashed his car into their home

For the Lukasiewicz and Blare family, any good news is balanced against the totality of the hardship they have suffered and continue to suffer.

In the early morning hours of Sunday, a man crashed into their home on Comanche Trail, sending father Christopher Lukasiewicz, mother Tonya Blare, 3-year-old son Christopher Lukasiewicz Jr. and 18-month-old daughter Cassy Lukasiewicz to the hospital.

Blare had least severe injuries and was released from the hospital the same day.

The good news is that Cassy was able to come home from Rainbow Babies & Children's hospital Tuesday, said Natilee Blare, Tonya's mother.

"She just got home so she's groggy but, otherwise, she's OK," Natilee Blare said.

Unfortunately, her brother and father are still hospitalized at Rainbow and MetroHealth Medical Center, respectively.

The younger Chris has moved around some. However, he has not yet opened his eyes or spoken yet, Natilee Blare said.

Meanwhile, the father has been upgraded to fair condition and he will undergo a 6-hour surgery today for his arm, Blare said. He suffered several broken bones throughout his body when the car crashed into living room.

Additionally, Natilee Blare said they are still in the process of setting up a fund at Huntington Bank where people can donate to help the family. As of Wednesday morning, they still needed to get an EIN from the IRS before it was official.

Daniel Vanderhoof Jr., 28, of Willoughby, is the man accused of crashing into the house.

He was arraigned on four charges of aggravated vehicular assault Monday in Mentor Municipal Court, as well as charges of drunken driving, driving without a license, reckless operation and fleeing the scene of a crash.

Police think both speed and alcohol contributed to the crash, Mentor Police Lt. Ken Zbiegien said. After the crash, instead of calling an ambulance or otherwise helping, Vanderhoof left and walked back to his house in Willoughby, police said.

Vanderhoof's next court hearing is scheduled for Monday.

CCRady December 13, 2012 at 03:40 PM
This story just tears my heart up. This could've been anyone's family. Late at night, in their own home, feeling safe and content. And some drunken jerk, who has a previous criminal record, completely changes their lives forever! This was MORE than a mistake, this was MORE than just an accident. I pray the judge puts this guy away for the maximum time allowed, because you know this family will always be scarred by this incident, both mentally AND physically!
Kathy Adult December 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Nikki, I feel sorry for you if really believe what you posted. Don't you understand that him having the backround that he does really doesn't matter. His behavior this past week does. He almost took the lives of this young family.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »