1. Despite the best efforts of almost a dozen local fire departments, a fire gutted the home at 4774 Orchard Drive earlier this week.
The fire likely began with food that was left on the stove.
Firefighters battled the blaze for several hours Tuesday afternoon and evening and then monitored the house over night to make sure the fire didn't flare up and spread to nearby houses.
While the woman who lives in the house was not hurt, she lost most of her possessions in the fire.
Donations are being collected on her behalf at the Mentor AMVETs Post 40.
Her pant size is 14-16; her shirt size, large or extra large.
Any other donations besides clothes are welcome, as well.
2. Mentor Schools Superintendent Matt Miller did not talk about many new issues when he gave his State of the Schools address Tuesday to the Mentor Area Chamber of Commerce.
Instead, he used it as an opportunity to highlight the district's year.
Those highlights include the state's changing standards for schools, two upcoming renewal levies, a spelling champion, Mr. Basketball, Mr. Football, a national merit semifinalist, an all-around gymnastics champion.
Read all about it here.
3. Mentor teenager Nick Magyar has loved hockey since he was three years old.
Now he's leaving behind his family, friends, teammates and school to play for the Sioux City Musketeers in the United States Hockey League.
Read about his journey here.
4. The new CrossFit Remix in Mentor is offering free fitness classes all February to celebrate their opening.
The classes are focused around high-intensity movement exercises such as cardio fitness, strength training, plyometrics, running and rowing.
See if it might be right for you.
5. A man from New York, who was arrested by Mentor Police, admitted to making and selling Ecstasy-laced gummy candies earlier this week.