Girls Soccer & Volleyball Teams For Mentor High, Lake Catholic Advance In Playoffs
Both the Cardinals and Cougars swept their opponents Thursday; boys soccer teams begin their playoffs Saturday
And all four teams set the pace by dominating their opponents:
- The Lake Catholic volleyball team, which has the top seed in the Division II Jefferson district, swept West Geauga 25-9, 25-9, 25-14.
The Cougars next game is the district semifinals at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday against Mantua Crestwood.
- Likewise, the Cardinals volleyball team also swept their opponent Euclid 25-10, 25-12, 25-8. Jackie Ritt led Mentor with 11 kills, according to The News-Herald.
Mentor's district semifinal will be against Riverside at Euclid High School.
- Meanwhile, the Mentor High and Riverside girls soccer teams already faced off in soccer Thursday with the top-seeded Cardinals coming out on top 3-0.
Courtney Schutz notched both a goal and an assist for Mentor.
The Cardinals will face Eastlake North in the district semifinals 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- The Lake Catholic girls soccer team won a close match against rival Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin.
Brittany Wiechlman scored the game's only goal to give the Cougars the 1-0 win.
Lake Catholic will face West Geauga in a district semifinal.
- The Mentor and Lake Catholic boys soccer teams begin their playoffs this Saturday.
The Cardinals play Riverside at 3 p.m. in Mentor. Meanwhile, the Cougars will play Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin at Lake Catholic.
- The Mentor boys cross country team won the Northeast Ohio Conference championship during what amounted to a home meet last Saturday at Garfield Park.
Mentor just edged Hudson 66-67 for the top spot.
The Cardinals' runners finished sixth (Jeff Gudowicz), eighth (Jared Keipert), ninth (Matt Evans), 19th (Joe Polakowski) and 24th (Tommy Kozlovich), according to cleveland.com.
- Neither Lake Catholic nor Mentor have anyone competing in this weekend's state tennis finals.